Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Book Review: The S Word by Chelsea Pitcher

Title: The S Word
Author: Chelsea Pitcher
Release Date: May 7th, 2013
Publisher: Gallery Books
Page Count: 302
Source: eBook via NetGalley
Rating: ★★★

First it was SLUT scribbled all over Lizzie Hart’s locker.

But one week after Lizzie kills herself, SUICIDE SLUT replaces it—in Lizzie's looping scrawl.


Lizzie’s reputation is destroyed when she's caught in bed with her best friend’s boyfriend on prom night. With the whole school turned against her, and Angie not speaking to her, Lizzie takes her own life. But someone isn’t letting her go quietly. As graffiti and photocopies of Lizzie’s diary plaster the school, Angie begins a relentless investigation into who, exactly, made Lizzie feel she didn’t deserve to keep living. And while she claims she simply wants to punish Lizzie’s tormentors, Angie's own anguish over abandoning her best friend will drive her deep into the dark, twisted side of Verity High—and she might not be able to pull herself back out.

 - GoodReads 

The one thing I came out with after reading this book was that it made me feel a lot of things. The characters were interesting and well thought out for the most part. I would have liked more insight into Angelina, I felt like even thougth she was the main character I still don't know very much about her. Lizzie is a different story.

Pitcher really thought about who she wanted Lizzie to be. She multiple layers and it was interesting and disheartening to get to know her through her diary entries. Lizzie was definitely more than what you saw at face value, even though she'd be the last person to tell you that.

All in all I thought the book was very intense and dark but I knew what I was getting into before I started. I don't quite agree with other readers that there were too many characters. I think the amount of characters was just right and I loved Angelina's gum-shooing, but I felt like Pitcher tried to deal with too many issues at once. This book could have a been a series, a very depressing series but a series none the less.

I enjoyed the writing style of this new author and will definitely be checking out whatever she publishes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...