Friday, February 3, 2012

Book Review: The Lucky One by: Nicholas Sparks


Rating: 

After U.S. Marine Logan Thibault finds a photograph of a smiling young woman buried in the dirt during his tour of duty in Iraq, he experiences a sudden streak of luck -- winning poker games and even surviving deadly combat. Only his best friend, Victor, seems to have an explanation for his good fortune: the photograph -- his lucky charm.

Back home in Colorado, Thibault can't seem to get the woman in the photograph out of his mind and he sets out on a journey across the country to find her. But Thibault is caught off guard by the strong attraction he feels for the woman he encounters in North Carolina - Elizabeth, a divorced mother -- and he keeps the story of the photo, and his luck, a secret. As he and Elizabeth embark upon a passionate love affair, his secret soon threatens to tear them apart -- destroying not only their love, but also their lives.

Filled with tender romance and terrific suspense, THE LUCKY ONE is an unforgettable story about the surprising paths our lives often take and the power of fate to guide us to true and everlasting love. 

Me:
I started this book twice before I actually dove in, but once I did I could not put it down. It's a little slow in the beginning especially coming off of Silence and admittedly I picked up the book in the first place because the movie is coming out soon and it stars my boyfriend Zac Efron, but it is such a rich and beautiful story. It's a great escape from everyday life.
This is only the fourth Nicholas Sparks book I have read. I don't think about reading his books unless there is going to be a movie and then I go out and get it. I did the same with A Walk to Remember, The Notebook, and The Last Song (the book is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the movie so if you haven't read it, do yourself a favor). I always forget he has like A MILLION books. I also own Dear John which I haven't read but I did see the movie and enjoy it so I may have to go back to it.
In The Lucky One Sparks charms once again with another tale set in home sweet North Carolina. Logan Thibault, a retired marine, sets out to find the woman in the photograph he believes is responsible for keep him alive. Some people say Sparks is a formulaic writer and I can see that but I have to hand it to him the man writes female characters that I can actually stand, not only stand but root for. Beth is a firecracker.

I have to say the thing that kept me reading the most, other than the delicious Logan Thibault... and delicious he is, Zac Efron or not, was wanting to get to the love scene in the rain that they showed in the trailer. There is so much build up whether Beth and Logan are going to get together and that scene is the peak of the whole story in my opinion and it is the point where the whole story turns around.
I'm going to stop giving stuff away there. The book is wonderful and I would definitely check it out if your in the mood for a good romance. It really makes you question who decides your fate: you or destiny?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...